Saturday 28 May 2016

Italy: Where I Want To Go- Part 1

Italy is probably the most beautiful countries in the world, lets be honest. It is a country enriched with history, unique culture, spectacular scenery, delicious food... The list could go on. This country gives so much to the world, the most important to me would be the food, of course. 
I have visited Italy before. I was there for a while and stayed on the Adriatic
side of the country in the region of Marche, in the town of Fabriano. From Fabriano, I traveled only to Senigallia, on the Adriatic Coast and Assisi, in the region of Umbria. I flew into and out of Rome of course, but not seeing enough of Italy left me with a hunger to see more! There is so much of the beautiful country left to see and discover that I'm itching to go back.
Having friends in Italy makes the whole idea of visiting Italy a lot more attractive as I have people to show me the best places, to bring me to the best eateries and to ensure I have a good experience and that I won't be disappointed, maybe bring me to places and to show me things I would have missed if I was on my own. For example when I was in Marche, I went to see the Grotte di Frasassi (http://www.frasassi.com/) in Genga (Between Ancona and Assisi). If my friend hadn't suggested to go there, I wouldn't have gotten to see the amazing karst cave endowed with stalagmites and stalactites.
There are a lot of places I wish to visit in Italy, some for the fact I have friends there and wish to discover more, and others because of the popularity and the "need" to go there. Some places I wish to visit are:

Rome/Roma: 

The Capital of the boot-shaped country. I have only flown into Rome Ciampino Airport to then travel 3 more hours to Marche but unfortunately, I spent no
time in Rome. Let's be real, it's a must go place throughout the world. The atmosphere as you travel around the capital is something that resonates across the world but Rome just has this magical vibe to it. Kind of similar to something you'd imagine in Paris. It's something different to places like London or Dublin. Some must see things I wish to see in Italy are:
  • The Colosseum: A place of ancient historical significance and recognition worldwide. The Colosseum is a landmark to Italy and a staple of Ancient Roman history. Everyone should be familiar with the gladiator fights that would have taken place in the arena. Now it is a major tourist attraction to Italy.
  • The Trevi Fountain: This fountain appears in most movies shot in Rome
    and is an icon to the Trevi district of Rome. It's got a romantic sense to it
    that is really attractive and the whole concept to make a wish and throw money in, as a giant wishing well is a really nice idea. (Right hand over left shoulder, so they say). I for sure want to see this fountain at nighttime.
  • Piazza Navona: A famed plaza in Italy. The plaza features the Fountain of the Four Rivers and in the middle stands an Egyptian Obelisk. From articles about Rome, it seems like a really unique place to visit.
  • The Basilicas: A great way to see unique architecture of different places is to look at the churches and cathedrals that were build as they give a look at the type of architecture that has been passed down. Rome has plenty of basilicas which are enriched with heritage and history, as well as beautiful architecture. Some of the basilicas I wish to see are:
    • Santa Maria in Trastevere
    • Abbazia di San Paolo Fuori La Mura
    • Arcibasilica di San Giovanni in Laterno

Venice

You know, I feel like there is more to Venice than riding a river on a gondola. For sure I wanna do that but it's not all I'd like to do while I'm there. Many
popular movies have been filmed in Venice, so to see some places where famous movies have been shot fits nicely into the Literary/Culture Tourism category. Movies like; James Bond. Lara Croft. The Tourist and Indiana Jones have been filmed in Venice. There are some places in Venice I'd love to see:
  • The Grand Canal: I mean, you can't not go to Venice and take a boat ride. It's something that needs to be instagrammed. How can you go to Venice and NOT take a boat ride!
  • Opera at La Fenice: Masquerade and Opera are both things famed to come from Venice. Going to the Opera at La Fenice, known as "the most famous and renowned landmarks in the history of Italian theatre"
  • Saint Mark's Square: The Main Square in Venice. Near the Square is Saint Mark's Basilica which is renowned for its incredible architecture.

Genoa

The capital of the region of Liguria and the sixth largest city in Italy. This city if famed for being the birthplace of Christopher Columbus, the discoverer of San Salvador, Cuba and other islands in the Caribbean. Genoa, with remarkable enriching art, culture and cuisine, became the culture capital of Europe in 2004. The good thing about Genoa is that it is a seaport and also on the Mediterranean! Who doesn't love a Mediterranean city! Some of the places I'm hoping to visit in Genoa:
  • The Royal Palace: When I heard that Genoa had a Royal Palace, like the Palacio Real in Madrid, I have to go and visit! I think the architecture of Royal Palaces are quite fantastic.
  • Boccadasse: An old marine village in Genoa that looks really rustic, which
    is something that shows the authenticity of a place. It is enclosed in a narrow bay, which I'm sure makes for amazing scenery.
  • Palazzi dei Rolli: A street of big buildings! Like, that sounds kinda cool and architecturally amazing!
  • Christopher Columbus: Taking a look around Genoa, I feel, would give a great feel for the history. And especially that of Christopher Columbus, seeing any famous sites marked for the navigator or any landmarks. It would be quite unique.
These are just the first three places on my list of places in Italy to visit! Stay tuned for more and if you want anymore on these places, leave a comment!
-
Read, Comment, Share and Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Nice post! I ve been to Rome and Florence for 3 days on October. If you want some info read my pist here http://www.traveldefinition.com/my-travels/3-days-italy-romeflorence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree... Italy is most beautiful countries. Lot of nice cities to visit in Italy. You shared information about some most beautiful cities of Italy. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete