Sunday 27 March 2016

4 Days in Madrid: Part 5

March 14: If I thought Friday mornings hangover was bad, this one tops it. Waking at 9am, after coming in at 6 was not a wise move. Hopping down off my bed and landing on a stranger sprawled across my floor was not a good move either. Apparently we'd found him propped up outside asleep and he couldn't find his own hostel and was part of the other college that came with our college on the trip and they volunteered he stay in my room. After stepping on him he left pretty quickly to his own hostel. I packed up pretty quickly as bending over really didn't do my stomach any justice and neither did the thought of eating croissants and doughnuts. 
Considering we had an hour before checkout, I ran out and found a little café
that sold greasy food (Best cure for a hangover, I think). The food was particularly usual, bacon, eggs and toast. And thankfully it didn't come back up. It was quiet sad when we came back to the hostel, having to check out and everyone standing waiting to go. The hostel gave us markers and allowed us to write our names on the walls (I did it about four times, in case I get famous and they want proof). We took the last trip on the Metro towards the airport, a classmate again striking up conversations with people who just wanted to get on with their business. The hustle and bustle of the airport didn't do our hangovers any justice, and my lecturer seemed pretty okay, considering I had seen her knock back a shot or two. We all checked through security and it was then that I found the door to Burger King (The emotions came again and I couldn't contain myself) I grabbed whoever was hungry and ran towards the Burger King counter, ordering the biggest burger they had. There is a reason they call it "The Whopper"... As delicious as it was at the time, it filled me up to the point where I told people to "Beware of the splash zone" in fear of exploding. 
With 10 minutes until the gate closed, the four of us ran through the airport trying to find our gate. And for any of you who have flown with Ryanair, you know how far away their gate is. Coming to our gate, I was sweating in places I didn't know I could sweat, only to find that they hadn't even begun boarding. After another thirty minutes of waiting, we boarded the plane. I got the seat next to my lecturer (Who fell asleep just after take off. So much for trying to sweet talk extra credit). The flight was awful. The pressure in the cabin left my ears popped for not only a few hours but a day or two after the flight but thankfully we landed safetly in Dublin Airport. The trip through the airport was fine, considering I usually get stopped asking for my visa papers. Exiting the arrival doors there was a guy with a sign with our names on it. I'm not going to lie, I felt quite special. It was like having a chauffeur, except you're being picked up in a bus. We stopped for another Burger King on the way home and of course I ordered something (Don't judge, I just eat  lot, okay?) and although upset about leaving Madrid, I was happy to slow down. Walked in my bedroom door and fell gracelessly into bed. 
Madrid was an absolute amazing experience, to which I thank my college for giving me the opportunity!
-
- Tomorrow is my recommended Itinerary for Madrid, stay tuned!-

No comments:

Post a Comment