Wednesday 23 March 2016

4 Days in Madrid: Part 1

Everyone knows that semester 2 of a college year is probably the one that tests you the most, with more assignments, projects, reports and presentations. As a first year, I heard the rumours that second semster was "Satanic" "Super difficult and "Literally you get 100 assignments" so I honestly considered dropping out and joining a circus but then I realised I wasn't blessed with unique talent so I continued on with college. The first Spanish class of the semester came as a nice break from a really long day. In walked the glorious, Venezuelan born lecturer and she handed out the module descriptors. On the bottom was clearly labelled "Trip". So me being my nosey self popped up and asked where we were going, expecting an answer like "Galway" or "Cork" but nothing like "Oh, we're going to Madrid for a weekend". I won't lie. I cried a little bit. I passed it off as allergies, but deep down I was emotional. Kinda like when you're hungry and you think there is no food. So you check the kitchen and find dinner has been made so you weep a little. Like that. Let me tell you. March couldn't come quick enough. Assignments coming at me left, right and center, the urges to kill lecturers (Plans were made...) and dying a little more each day. The trip lasted from March 10th to March 14th. 
Let me tell you about it.
-
March 10th: I had to leave my house at 7am because I had to go and get the 8am bus to Dublin Airport from Sligo Bus Station (I hate morning so much without public transport). My flight was at 13:25 because I was mistakenly booked on the earlier flight. Which I didn't mind because I thought I'd enjoy looking around. I left Dublin on time and flew with Ryanair (Ireland's budget airline god) so I expected the 2 for 1 Flight and Rollercoaster ride. The flight was actually really nice and it went by super quick. I sat beside this lovely couple who, when I asked, said they were going away for a weekend and no matter how hard I tried my mind couldn't help thinking "A dirty weekend?" and grossed myself out. I landed at 4:30 (GMT +1 for those who care) and immediately went to the "Mahoudrid" bar in the airport. Chilled there for a good hour, trying to get service on the god awful wifi as I had a 4 hour wait ahead. The first hour I spent looking around the airport for something to do. The second hour I spent trying to find a way to get into the Burger King, but couldn't find the door. This made me cry. When food is involved, it's emotional. And then the third hour I spent timing myself getting to and from the Metro platform (Current time 17 minutes). My class finally arrived at 8:30 but weren't out until 9 because they thought I loved waiting. Lovely people, I swear. So then it was up to me to show where the Metro was, because no one else had a clue. We bought ten-trip Metro tickets (Recommended for a weekend trip) and got on the Spanish Tube. After what felt like 100 stops and a million steps, honestly the metro stations have too many steps. You'd never want to exercise again. We made it to Sol. Puerta del Sol is the ground zero of Madrid. At 9:45, it was a lovely atmosphere. Not too many people, lovely lighting and there were people dance
battling. As much as I wanted to, I resisted the temptation to have a "Step Up" moment. We arrived at out hostel- Room007 (Ventura de la Vega) not too far from Sol and had about 20 minutes to change before dinner. We went through the Plaza Mayor, a beautiful little enclosed square that was also beautifully lit. We hurried through (Our stomachs were shouting at this stage) and came to this cute little corner place. We met people from the partner college that joined us from Ireland. As we sat, the waiters placed bottles and bottles of wine (Vino blanco y tinto. I Spanish), beer and water. Then came the tapas. Tortillas, patatas bravas, croquetas, paella and calamares. Now. I'm not a fan of seafood. I actually avoid the fish counter at the supermarket because I hate looking my dinner in the eyes. But battered squid rings are just so good! As we ate, the jet lag set in and we all were looking to go home. On the way, a classmate of mine asked if I'd go out. My head said no, my heart said yes and the peer pressure wouldn't allow me to go home. So I settled for "Just one". 2 new friends and 15 bottles of beer later (They were 5 for €5, it was rude not to) I stumbled in at 5am. I slept well that night!
-
Stay tuned for part two!

4 comments:

  1. love your stories it is very nice reading them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good and really funny, David, well done ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! Hope you keep reading and enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Nice blog!I will keep an eye on it ;)

    ReplyDelete