Friday 15 July 2016

Italy: Where I Want To Go- Part 2

Following on from my Part 1 post on where I want to travel in Italy, this Part 2 will look at other places I want to travel to in the boot-shaped country. 
As I have stated in my previous post, I have been to Italy once before. Whilst being in Italy in June 2014, I flew into Rome but however I did not stay there. From Rome, I traveled to the Adriatic side of the country to the region of Marche, in the paper-making town of Fabriano. From Fabriano, I traveled to the coastal town of Senigallia and the religious town of Assisi in the Umbria region, bang smack in the middle of Italy. Being in Italy for 2 weeks, I did not travel much within the country, regrettably. I do hope to return to Italy and I wish to travel around and see different places and immerse myself in the culture, art, cuisine and scenery of Italy. Having friends in Italy gives me an added desire to visit the country and the possible insight into places that wouldn't be especially popular. 
In my first post, the three places I wrote about were: Rome, Venice and Genoa. Popular, well known places and destinations I am sure to enjoy. In this post, featured destinations will be: Florence, Naples and the region of Puglia. These are more places I'm anxious to visit also.
Florence:
The City of Florence is the capital of the region of Tuscany. Historically, Florence appeals to me as it is said to be the birthplace of the Renaissance and also the home of the Medici family so I am sure these facts enrich the art
culture and history in Florence. Called "The cradle of the Renaissance", Florence boasts many pieces of architectual beauty and heritage sites. There is so much to see and learn about in Florence, I'm incredibly anxious to visit. It is kind of a must-visit place in Italy. Places in Florence I wish to see are:
  • Uffizi Gallery: Commissioned by Cosimo I de' Medici, a member of the Medici family to display grand works of art. Because of the vast size of the collection that has been gathered from the renaissance era, The gallery boasts so many masterpieces and amazing stamps of history including: Leonardo di Vinci's "The Annunciation", Michaelangelo "Tonto Doni" and Caravaggio's "Bacchus". The most represented and an artist whose work I want to see is Botticelli and his "Primavera" piece of art. 
  • Ponte Vecchio: A medieval-stone closed bridge over the River Arno. The
    bridge has stalls and stores, which back in medieval times was a common thing. Dating back to 996 in documents, this structure is a big part of Roman history and trade culture. A commemorative statue of Benvenuto Cellini was built in 1900. Benvenuto Cellini was a master sculptor and goldsmith of the area, to this day, the bust of Bevenuto still remains. I think seeing this historic part of medieval Italian trade culture would be incredible.
  • Piazza del Duomo: I've heard people talk about the heart of Florence, how amazing it is and anyone who has traveled to Florence that I have spoken to have said the the Piazza del Duomo is worth seeing as you would be in the heart. It is one of the most visited places in Europe and the world. From this piazza, you can access many amazing historic buildings including: Florence Cathedral, Baptistery of St. John, Giotto's Bell Tower and other well known buildings.
Florence is one of the top places on my bucket list for traveling in Italy. It's one of the prominent destinations in Italy and I'm dying to visit!

Naples:
After Milan and Rome, Naples is the third largest city in Italy and the capital of the Campania region in the south east of the country. Like Florence, Naples,
during the Renaissance and also the Enlightenment eras, played an important part in history. In the immediate vicinity of Naples contains a plethora of historic and culturally significant landmarks. The cuisine of Naples is world-renowned. Naples is recorded as the home of pizza and being a coastal city, I'm sure the seafood is quite tasty too! And you know me, food is an emotional experience! Besides the food, I am looking forward to seeing a few sights in Naples:
  • Via Caracciolo: A walk along the Mediterranean coast, there is nothing better. According to what I've heard and read, walking along the Via Caracciolo, you are immersed in the cool sea breeze and refreshing Mediterranean sunshine. There is all sorts of street food and vendors in the area also, so dining whilst looking out at the coast sounds very appealing! I really want to take a look down around the Via Caracciolo as it seems very picturesque. And food reasons.
  • Catacombe di San Gennaro: These catacombs have been carved out of volcanic debris and rock that form the Naples hills. Rooms and rooms of burial tombs in a labyrinth formation carved out through generations.
  • Pompeii and Heculaneum: With Vesuvius on the Gulf of Naples, in ancient
    times, these two settlements were ruined by the lava, ash and smoke that came from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Being in the area and not going to see Pompeii and Vesuvius, it's something definitely to see and is on my bucket list.
  • Italian Architecture: Like most places that I want to travel in Italy, the infrastructure, design and building of Naples, I feel, will stand out and capture my attention, ten fold. The regular buildings and how they contrast to places like the Castel Nuovo or the Palazzo Capodimonte. The most prominent forms of architecture in Naples is Renaissance and Baroque. I look forward to see all the designs of Naples.
  • Food: The birthplace of pizza... That is all.
  • Speaking about Napoli, a friend of mine, Giovanni. He said that when he visited the city "the thing that most interested me was the legend about St. Gennero". 18 times a year, for over the past 600 years, the blood miracle or the liquidation of of his blood happens and is one of the only blood miracles to still happen today. Great crowds gather in the Cathedral of Naples to pay homage and be immersed in the holiness of the miracle. Most notably happening on the Saints' Feast Day (September 19). According to Giovanni "If the blood doesn't liquefy, the legend says that a catastrophe is imminent to occur. This is very interesting because all the people, during the ceremony, start screaming and yelling"

Puglia:
Before I continue with my section on Puglia, I want to send my thoughts to the people affected by the train crash that happened in Puglia recently. A tragic thing to happen and affects the Puglia region. 

The heel of the boot. Puglia is a region of Italy in the south of Italy. The Adriatic Sea in the East, the Ionian Sea in the South East and the Gulf of Taranto in the South. Lets be honest, with this many sea's surrounding it, Puglia is said to have some of the best coastal beaches and sights near the sea. Sun holidays are always welcome, right?  Puglia has risen to one of the places I wish to visit in Italy. I've seen pictures of the landscapes and beaches and I've heard some great things about the region from locals and tourist to the region. I'm dying to get there. Some of the places in Puglia I wish to visit are:
  • Bari: The capital of Puglia and is on the Adriatic Sea. In the South of Italy, it is the second largest city after Naples. The city of Bari and the surrounding areas contain a weight of history. So many sights and it's a coastal city too. Some of the sights contained in the beautiful Bari are:
    • Bari Cathedral
    • Swabian Castle
    • Pinacoteca Provinciale
    Bari, when looking at pictures and research, it becomes so much more appealing the more I see and learn more about it, I just wanna book a flight and go! 
    The cuisine of Bari is quite something also to be interested in. A region famous for the likes of olive oil and tomatoes, food like panzerotti and even food like RagĂș is famous in the Barese region of Italy. And now I'm hungry...

    • Taranto: Reading into Taranto, I was very interested in what it had to offer
      and what it's about. Apparently, Taranto is known as the "Spartan City" as it is the only colony formed by the Spartans. Funnily enough, the name for Tarantula spiders comes from Taranto. I might hesitate a bit on going there but I'm quite sure there ain't any in Puglia. The architecture in Taranto is quite unique. Given that it is known as the "Spartan City" I am hoping there will be a bit of Greek influence in the design of buildings. Also situated in Taranto is the Aragon Castle, commissioned by King Ferdinand, which I find interested and would like to seek that. Taranto is also a port city, and is the name of the Gulf. I am excited to visit there, see the beaches and see the unique history.
    So far, these are the places in Puglia I wish to visit on my travels, but I'm sure that in time I will have influence and inclination to travel to other parts of the region.
    -
    *Pic Credit: Spalla67. florenceinfermo, paradoxplace, dayofarcheology, weatherforecast365*
    -
    That concludes the second part of my Italian dream destinations that I hope to one day visit. I will be sure to make edits to the information on here, as I plan to get more insight into these three destinations. 
    -
    Read, Comment, Share and Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment